There is a lack of coordination and preparedness for the rising refugee crisis across Germany.
How to Help Flood Victims in Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Croatia
The Balkan Trust for Democracy (BTD), a project of the German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF), stands by individuals and communities affected by the floods in Serbia, Bosnia and Hercegovina, and Croatia and supports all relief efforts.
Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Croatia have experienced floods of Biblical proportions since last week, the worst that the region has known since they began keeping records 120 years ago. In Bosnia, more than 1 million people live in the affected areas. About 500,000 people have left their homes and at least 95,000 homes are without power. Over 1 million people have been cut off from clean water supplies. In Serbia, tens of thousands of people have lost everything. As many as 30,000 people have been evacuated to collective centers, and most 50 people have died. Landslides have moved land mines leftover from the wars in the 20th century, estimated to be as many as 120,000. The floods hit Croatia on Monday; 15,000 people have been evacuated, and unfortunately there have been two confirmed deaths.
- There is a great shortage of food, drinking water, clothes, hygienic products, and medicine for everyone, but the most immediate concern is for babies and their exhausted mothers.
- There is danger of infection in the coming days as water supplies have been contaminated.
- Support will be needed even more in the months ahead, since hospitals, schools, houses, and roads all need to be rebuilt.
We ask our international partners, colleagues, and friends to support the people in the Balkans with a donation of any size.
How to help in Serbia
- Donate to the state institution solely for this purpose
- Donate to the “General support” fund of the TRAG Foundation, the most respected community foundation in Serbia.
How to help in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Donate to Red Cross of Republika Srpska
- Donate Red Cross of the Federation of B&H
- Donate to the MOZAIK Foundation, the most respected community foundation in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
How to help in Croatia