Daesh Recruitment And Support: How People Are Lured into Terrorist Activities
Mr. Bruno Lete, Transatlantic Fellow, Security and Defense, The German Marshall Fund of the United States
Daesh’s approach to recruitment plays a vital role in sustaining foreign terrorist fighters but also other supporters as an essential part of the overall strategy. If we only think of Daesh recruits as fighters, we are not thinking broadly enough. The recruitment campaign is not reserved only for those who travel to fight, some live amongst you.
11:00 – 11:30 Registration & Morning Coffee
11:30 – 11:40 Welcome by the Deputy Director of the NATO Strategic Communications Centre of Excellence Colonel Aivar Jaeski
11:40 – 11:55 Daesh Recruitment Support Strategy
Presenter: NATO Strategic Communications Centre of Excellence Mr. Maj Rafał Zgryziewicz
- How does Daesh attract people?
- How are target audiences selected?
- What motivates potential supporters?
- What are the stages individuals pass through to actively support Daesh?
11:55 – 12:10 Foreign Terrorist Fighters
Presenter: Executive Director, Hedayah, United Arab Emirates H.E. Maqsoud Kruse
- What is the scope of the problem in the Middle East and the West?
- Which demographic is vulnerable?
- What will be the impact of migrating foreign fighters?
- What approaches can be taken with those who support violent extremism?
12:10 – 12:25 The Global Coalition to Counter ISIL
Presenter: Head of the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL Communications Cell Mr. Dan Chugg
- What is the Global Coalition against Daesh?
- How the coalition is countering violent narratives?
- Is communications the right thing to build audience resilience?
- How can we be more effective?
12:25 – 13:10 Panel Discussion