Expectations for Ukraine Reform Priorities in 2019
- H.E. Roman Waschuk, Ambassador of Canada to Ukraine (from Kyiv)
- Peter Wagner, Head of Support Group for Ukraine, European Commission (from Brussels)
- Pamela Tremont, Deputy Chief of Mission, U.S. Embassy to Ukraine (from Kyiv)
- Yaroslav Yurchyshyn, Chief Executive Officer, Transparency International Ukraine (from Kyiv)
- Hlib Vyshlinsky, Executive Director, Center for Economic Strategy (from Kyiv)
- Olena Prokopenko, international relations and advocacy expert, former Head of International Relations, Reanimation Package of Reforms (from Kyiv)
- Jonathan Katz, Senior Fellow, The German Marshall Fund of the United States (from Washington)
- Bruno Lete, Senior Fellow, The German Marshall Fund of the United States (from Brussels)
Please join us for a special meeting of the Transatlantic Task Force on Elections and Civil Society in Ukraine focused on the upcoming Ukrainian presidential and parliamentary elections as well as Kyiv’s ongoing reform efforts, including efforts to combat corruption and support for civil society.
At this session we will discuss with representatives from the U.S., Canada, EU, Ukrainian civil society, and diplomatic community the reforms that they expect from the Ukrainian government and parliament regardless of the outcome of presidential elections on March 31 and parliamentary elections on October 27. The speakers will discuss and take questions on the reforms that are necessary and achievable, such as voting into law further anti-corruption measures, establishment of a fully-functional anticorruption court, stronger rule-of-law guarantees, and media reforms.
The Transatlantic Task Force on Elections and Civil Society in Ukraine was established by the Friends of Ukraine Network (FOUN) Democracy and Civil Society Task Force, an initiative of the U.S.-Ukraine Foundation, and Reanimation Package of Reforms (RPR) to provide a platform for stronger U.S.–EU–Ukrainian engagement and information sharing prior to the upcoming Ukrainian presidential election in March 2019 and parliamentary election in October 2019.
Civil society organizations that have joined the task force include Transparency International Ukraine, Centre for Democracy and Rule of Law, Centre for Policy and Legal Reform, OPORA Civil Network, Democratic Initiatives Foundation, DEJURE Foundation, EIDOS Center, Centre for Economic Strategy, Anti-Corruption Action Centre, and Centre UA. The initiative has also been joined by the Brussels office of the Ukrainian World Congress and the German Marshall Fund in Washington, DC, and Brussels.
Please note that this event will be held via video link between three separate venues. Responding to this invitation will sign you up to attend the event in Washington, DC.
Washington, DC: The German Marshall Fund of the United States, 1744 R Street NW
Kyiv: Ukraine Crisis Media Center, 2 Khreshchatyk Street
Brussels: The German Marshall Fund of the United States, Rue de la Loi 155 Wetstraat
To RSVP or if you have any questions, please contact John Alexander at +1 202 683 2608 or firstname.lastname@example.org.