New Challenges for NATO, What Role for France in the Atlantic Alliance?
A few months away from the next NATO Summit taking place July 11–12, and ten years after the French decision to regain its original place within the integrated military structure of the Alliance, what are NATOs prospects in this increasingly unpredictable environment ? What adaptations are needed to enable Allies to effectively address security challenges? What forms of cooperation should be found with the European Union, who is now developing its own security and defense policy?
To discuss these issues, the Foundation for Strategic Research, in partnership with the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs, and The German Marshall Fund of the United States, is organizing an international seminar bringing together Alliance officials and high-level experts.
14h00-14h30: Opening Remarks by Bruno Racine, President, FRS
14h30-15h45: Security Challenges for the Atlantic Alliance
The Alliance and the Russian question; Terrorism, proliferation and fragile states: What role for NATO?
- Moderator: Alexandre Escorcia, Deputy Director, CAPS (French MoFA)
- Speakers: Hélène Duchêne (French Permanent Representative to NATO), Tomas Valasek (Carnegie Europe-Brussels), Kadri Liik (ECFR-London), Danielle Pletka (AEI-Washington)
15h45-16h00: Coffee Break
16h00-17h15: The Adaptation of NATO
Command structure; Deterrence and defense posture; Missile defense; Nuclear policy
- Moderator: Tomas Valasek, Carnegie Europe-Brussels
- Speakers: Camille Grand (NATO), Merle Maigre (NATO/Center of Excellence Cyber), Bruno Tertrais (FRS), Guillaume Schlumberger (French MoD)
17h15-17h30: Coffee Break
17h30-18h45: What Responsibilities for Europe and the United States?
The role of the United States in the defense of Europe; The defense effort of European countries; EU-NATO relations and European defense’s ambitions
- Moderator: Alexandra de Hoop Scheffer, Director, Paris Office, GMFUS
- Speakers: Nicolas Roche (French MoFA), Christian Mölling (DGAP-Berlin), Justyna Gotkowska (OSW-Warsaw), Kori Schake (IISS)
19h00-19h30: Closing Remarks by Jens Stoltenberg, NATO Secretary General