Young Strategists Forum
The Young Strategists Forum seeks to develop a new generation of strategic thinkers for an age of constrained resources and mounting international challenges. Since the inaugural Young Strategists Forum, held in Japan in March 2012, GMF has built a vibrant program centered on the theme of the U.S.-Japan alliance and security dynamics in the Asia-Pacific. The program involves a seminar on Asian geopolitics, a 36-hour simulation exercise, meetings with policy makers, diplomats, senior journalists and leading academics in Tokyo, and a study tour to a military facility.
The program, held each year in Tokyo, cultivates a new generation of strategic thinkers, enables allies to begin developing a common strategic language that spans other major democracies, and gives participants a high-level perspective on the U.S.-Japan alliance and its role in the Asia-Pacific region. Participants are selected through a competitive process, open to emerging leaders — academics, journalists, policy makers, politicians, business professionals, and military officers — between the ages of 25 and 40, from the United States, Europe, Japan, and other like-minded Asian countries.
- Assessing the U.S. Commitment to Allies in Asia and Beyond
- Shifting Dynamics - Next Generation Assessments on Asian Security
- Next Generation Perspectives on the Future of Asian Security
Young Strategists Forum Paper Series
- Developing a Future Partnership between Japan and South Korea for Regional Stability in East Asia
- The Geopolitics of Chinese Access Diplomacy
- Indonesia and the Asia-Pacific: Opportunities and Challenges for Middle Power Diplomacy
- An Anglo-French “Pivot”? The Future Drivers of Europe-Asia Cooperation
- The U.S.-Japan Alliance in a Time of Transition
- Prospects for Establishing a U.S.-Australia-Singapore Security Arrangement: The Australian Perspective
- A Modi-Fication of the India-Japan Relationship?
- Challenges of a Multipolar World: The United States, India, and the European Union in the Asia-Pacific
- The Wider Front: The Indian Ocean and AirSea Battle
- Japan’s China Policy — Engagement, but for How Long?
- Europe’s Eastward Gaze: How Far Should It Reach?