Strengthening the Transatlantic Commitment to Democracy, Resiliency, and Civil Society
- Brock Bierman, Assistant Administrator, Europe and Eurasia Bureau, U.S. Agency for International Development
- Katarina Mathernova, Deputy Director General, Directorate General for Neighborhood and Enlargement Negotiations
- Gordana Delić, Director, Balkans Trust for Democracy, The German Marshall Fund of the United States
- Alina Inayeh, Director, Black Sea Trust for Regional Cooperation, The German Marshall Fund of the United States
- Jonathan Katz, Senior Fellow, Frontlines of Democracy Initiative, The German Marshall Fund of the United States
- Ian Lesser, Vice President and Executive Director, Brussels, The German Marshall Fund of the United States
The German Marshall Fund of the United States and its Black Sea Trust for Regional Cooperation, Balkans Trust for Democracy, and Frontlines of Democracy Initiative invites you to a timely event on strengthening democracy and civil society in Eastern Europe and Western Balkans on July 16 with EU DG NEAR Deputy Director Katarina Mathernova and USAID Europe and Eurasia Assistant Administrator Brock Bierman.
The conversation with Mathernova and Bierman will focus on how USAID and EU DG NEAR are stepping up to bolster democracy, civil society, and transparency as goverments and citizens across these regions are addressing the challenges of the coronavirus, seeking to advance reforms, and greater EuroAtlantic integration. The coronavirus has placed unprecedented socio-economic strains on populations and governments across Eastern Europe, Western Balkans, Europe, and the globe, and the United States and the EU are targeting assistance and support to address the immediate and long term challenges associated with the pandemic. Please join us we also discuss transatlantic cooperation and how civil society, independent media, and citizens with the support of the United States and EU are leading efforts with other partners, in these regions and countries, to not only weather the impacts of the coronavirus but make certain that democracy thrives in a pandemic and post-pandemic world.
If you have any questions, please contact John Alexander at ja[email protected].